Sunday, September 21, 2008

Unfortunate news

The girls were admitted to NICU at children's hospital yesterday. Jill noticed they were warm and took temps. Amelia had a 100.2 so Jill called the clinic and they sent us to the ER. By the time we got to the ER both girls were over 101. They did urine, blood and a spinal tap test. Jill held them fine throughout all the poking, I am not able to watch so I stepped out. After the fourth attempt of putting an IV in Baylee, they told Jill they needed to put the IV in her head. Well, for the bravest mom and wife, that was enough to cause Jill to cry. The nurse understood and sent us on a walk with Amelia until Baylee was done. The girls got their first taste of sugar. To put in an IV they give the girls a little ball thing filled with glucose to help their veins pop. Let's just say they have a sweet tooth like their mom. OH NO!! Today was a hard day waiting for results. The cultures take 48 hours, only 24 to go. Baylee's blood test came back positive for gram positive cocci in clusters. This is a bacterial blood infection, they think came from the vaginal birth. Jill feels guilty, but they turned off all her meds when she had the reaction to the epidural, so the antibiotic was not in her system when she delivered. Jill blames herself even though everyone here in the NICU is praising her for watching and worrying about the girls enough to bring them in. This infection left untreated is fatal in newborns. I am very proud of her. She knew something wasn't right with the girls since she brought them home. The signs of lethargy, not eating, losing weight and fever, even though some are common with preemies, were not normal all together. Jill hasn't left their side, unless forced by nurses and myself to eat. I can't express how proud I am to have her as the mom of my children and my wife. Honey, when you can read this, YOU ROCK!!! Jill is staying at the hospital with the girls, it is called rooming in. They are in room 38 in the NICU. If you want to talk to her you have to call the NICU to be connected to their room. The phone flashes, doesn't ring, Jill sometimes misses it. There is a answering machine, she will check it and try to give calls back. You can write an email as well, I am bringing up our laptop to her in the morning. The estimated time of stay is currently 1-2 weeks. Jill is upset they will miss their baby shower, but wants them to get better. Well, I am heading back to work in the morning, I wish I could be there for the ladies in my life, but I have to bring home a paycheck. If anyone wants to visit, adults are allowed with photo ID accompanied by Jill or myself. Children are not allowed in the NICU unless they are a sibling to the baby. However, children are allowed to be in the family room with one adult while the other adult visits the babies. There are rules in the NICU, when visiting Jill or myself will explain the rules. This isn't the way we imagined their first weeks of life, Jill did such a good job keeping them in and this is killing her having them be sick, she blames herself. We all know it isn't her fault but the nurses said her hormones will make her more sensitive. I will try to update, Jill probably will too. We just pray they get better and the culture for anything else stay negative.

No comments: