Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Things have changed in our 34 week of pregnancy

Well, I have had quite a week. I have started contracting regularly even on Nifedipine. They say it is normal with twin pregnancies and in a case like mine. We ended up in Labor and Delivery again on Sunday night (actually early Monday morning). I seemed to have developed an allergy to Nifedipine. This is rare but can happen over time, this is the same with any drug. I am very sensitive to drugs so I am not surprised. So, the doctor's plan is for me to take benedryl on a regular basis until this Friday, then I am to stop taking Nifedipine. Which as we all know will eventually lead to labor (hopefully not for a week). I want to make it to September, the 5th would be great, the 8th excellent so I can go to my nephew Davis' 1st birthday party. I really don't want to miss it. He is starting to walk and I haven't seen him, so I really would like to be there, I don't want him to think his Auntie Jill and Uncle Tony didn't want to go to his party. The babies looked great on the ultrasound, they are both very near 5 pounds. They should be that by Thursday according to the nurse. Then in another week, they should gain a half to three quarters of a pound. Of course weight isn't the most important thing, lung development is. The doctor told me that she has seen a nine pound baby come out with huge lung problems and a 4 pound baby come out with good lungs. She said weight is not a sign of a healthy baby. But no worries, I had the shots for their lungs already and they are not expecting too many problems. But like all preemies they have the chance to be on oxygen for a little bit when first born. It is great to be over 34 weeks because the negative side effects of being born early decrease so much, they have 99% chance of being healthy babies. Which is a lot more than we have expected throughout this whole pregnancy.
I just got a call from my doctor's office. My hemoglobin is too low. I have to take more iron pills. It is at 9 and they want it higher than 11 when I deliver. I don't want to bleed out or be anemic. UGH!!! What else could happen??? I am getting a little frustrated and crabby. Sorry. I just wish something will go good. Maybe this means the delivery and recovery will be excellent???? A girl can have hope, right?
Well, I am having visitors soon, so I will write again tomorrow. Have a great day!!!

No comments: